As a working mom I love to find ways to center myself and to reconnect with myself and Spirit. I find it hard to meditate. And because I multitask, it’s rare to naturally create moments of stillness. This is why I created the practice of taking a sacred bath. It was the one time that everyone would leave me alone so that I could tune in to my guidance and reemerge from the sacred waters with clarity, peace and well-being.
You can read my upcoming book, The Book of Sacred Baths’ to learn out about the history of sacred bathing, the process of creating a sacred bath and receive 52 bath meditations, one for every week of the year. But, you can start making your regular bath more fun with these 10 tips and begin to elevate this ‘every day hygiene habit’ to a sacred bath ritual befitting of the Goddess that you are. It will help you move through your day with presence and power:
1. Clear the space: Take away any old towels, bathroom mess or distractions. You are going to create great energy so you will enjoy your sacred bath time and will be able to relax and focus: You can use palo santo wood or incense to create sacred space. Here is one example : Peruvian Specialty Incense Palo Santo Wood Sticks(pack of 6) by New Age, but you can use sage, incense or whatever attracts you.
2. Use a candle to invite in Spirit and make a prayer. You can put it on the corner of your tub so that you can stare at it, make a prayer that matches the intention for your bath and you can blow it out at the closing of your bath ritual. There are so many specialty candles that represent your Spirit guide, angel or intention. For example, if you are taking a sacred bath and asking Archangel Michael for guidance you can get this candle: Archangel Raphael Devotion Candle by Sacred Vessel Healing Arts.
3. Use sacred music. Music adds beauty to our life and rituals. We take it in on a deep unconscious level and it shifts our emotions. You can match the music to the intention you have for your sacred bath. For example, if you are asking for angelic guidance, try some harp music like this to enhance your experience: AngelicHarp Music by Erik Berglund.
4. Use wonderful essential oils: Essential oils smell great, have different energies and may raise your vibration. Try lavender essential oil for relaxation or jasmine or neroli essential oil for love and attraction. Use good quality essential oils that are pure. Some brands I use are NOW essential oils (I get them on Amazon), Floracopia essential oils or Young Living essential oils but I’m sure there are many others.
5. Say specific meditations to invite guidance about the life area you most want to improve. The Book of Sacred Baths has step-by-step instructions with 52 bath meditations in the areas of health, relationships, career, emotions, Spirit and more. The idea is to be still, have an intention or to ask a question and to give yourself time to really listen for an answer.
6. Drink an herbal tea afterwards that matches the intention and energy of your sacred bath. For example if you want to speak your truth more, this tea is for your throat chakra: Visuddha Herbal Tea(throat chakra). There are many examples of herbal teas that match intentions in my book.
7. Get a waterproof journal so you can jot down notes of any guidance you receive afterwards. When you relax in your sacred bath your consciousness expands and you are very relaxed. I often get many ideas and messages but if I don’t write them down right away, sometimes I will forget them. Check out this journal that you won’t ruin if it gets a bit wet, or buy your own pretty journal and write in it right after you step out.
8. Get Lavender Epsom salts to take away any toxins to aid relaxation. Here’s the one I like to use: Lavender Epsom Salts.
9. Place a crystal in the bath that matches your intention. For example, a rose quartz crystal is good to open your heart to love, as mentioned in this book. Or you could use a lapis lazuli to improve your communication. My book explores many crystals and which intentions they support.
10. Your Intention: This is the most important thing. It involves knowing the focus of your sacred bath and what you want to get out of it before you ask for Divine guidance. You then spend your time just focusing on that and bring your attention back if your mind begins to wander.
To learn more, buy my new book, The Book of Sacred Baths: 52 Bathing Rituals to Revitalize Your Spirit published by Llewellyn Worldwide in August 2016. It’s available HERE. You can learn more about sacred bathing and bath products HERE.
Blessings & Happy Bathing!
Dr. Paulette Kouffman Sherman is a licensed psychologist, dating coach and author of the upcoming, The Book of Sacred Baths, published by Llewellyn Worldwide. She is also the author of Dating from the Inside Out, published by Atria Books and 19 others. She’s a monthly expert in JDate's JMag and on Eligible Magazine. She’s been an expert on television like the CBS Early Show & the AM Northwest Early Show and a radio guest on the Curtis Sliwa show, Pathways and others. Dr. Sherman was quoted on MSN.com, USA Weekend, the NY Post, Newsweek, Lifetime.com, More, Match.com, Foxnews.com, Fox Business, Crains, Better Homes & Gardens, Reader’s Digest, Redbook, Glamour, Forbes, Woman’s Day, Metro newspapers, Men’s Health, Seventeen, Men’s Health, New York Magazine, Web MD, Everyday Health, Complete Woman magazines, the Huffington Post and the NY Times. She has a psychotherapy practice in Manhattan and does dating coaching by phone. To learn more, visit her website at www.drpaulettesherman.com and www.sacredbathing.com .