Monday, June 2, 2014

Discovering Deities: Lakshmi


I have been reading The Thrist by Christopher Pike (originallly The Last Vampire series)... I had first read this series when I was in my senior year of high school and since there has been talk of this series being picked up as the next "big vampire movie", I thought I would refresh my memory.  It certianly is an easy read, as it is meant for teenagers, but the books have inspired me to learn more about Hindu deities.

 I have chosen Lakshmi as the first Hindu Goddess to study.  She is the Goddess of wealth, love, prosperity (both material and spiritual), fortune, and the embodiment of beauty.  She is said to bring luck and protect her followers from money related troubles.  She is said to be a source of engery to even Vishnu (her consort and the Supreme Hindu God).

Lakshmi is portrayed as a young beautiful woman with a golden complexion.  She is often shown with four hands which represent the four ends of human life: "dharma" (righteousness), "kama" (karma), "artha" (wealth), and "moksha" (liberation from the cycle of birth and death).  Her connection to lotus flowers, elephants and water represent her faith in the fertility and abundance available to all.

This goddess is worshipped daily in many Hindu homes and the festivals of Diwali and Kojagiri Purnima are celebrated in her honour.

Lakshmi's Message:
 Take a moment to quiet your mind from worries and fears.  Everything will be fine.  You and your loved ones will be proctected and cared for.  Refuse to think of anything other than your bright future, and I promise it to be so.  




Reactions:

4 Thoughts:

  1. Wow! I really love your blog! I am so glad you left your URL address on my blog. There are so many wonderful blogs out there and I rarely get enough time to check them out as I would like to. Thank you for adding me to your list. I have added yours to my blog list as well.

    Many Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for visiting!
    I agree, so many great blogs - although, many on my blog list are no longer active :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goddess Lakshmi has this serene aura around her, which many of us miss, because she is the Goddess of Wealth. People pray to her for money, but she, as you have mentioned, spreads an important message - let everything take its course.

    Love your blog. Have been a silent follower for long! <3 :D

    ReplyDelete