Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Modern Witch Documentary

Like several other Witches in the blog-o-sphere, I have been approached  to appear in a documentary about the lifestyles of modern-day Witches.    On the surface the show seems to have a great premise, and the company states that they are wanting to shed positive light on Witches.

At first I was worried this was a scam, but from everything I have researched, this is a valid company and opportunity.

My husband thinks we should apply for a spot on the show and see where it takes us...  however, I am torn... would this be a good opportunity to let people see how we live?  Or would I be exposing my children to scorn from the community - We are out of the broom closet, but we don't really flaunt our "witchiness" either.  

Reactions:

12 Thoughts:

  1. I think you as adults should participate. What a great opportunity to educate others about our religion and natural lifestyle. With that said, I strongly feel you should prevent the young children from participating at any level. I think that children (especially the younger ones) who are exposed within this subject matter are put at risk to bullying and potential violence. It sound extreme, but we all know that when it comes to religion, people can have strong feelings on the subject and therefore act out inappropriately.

    Adults are better suited to make better decisions when it comes to opening oneself up to new and different information, especially that of religion. Children and young adults tend to just make fun as they don't have the wisdom nor maturity level for the subject matter at hand. Paganism/Wicca are often left out of the educational process as it is deemed evil and anti-Christian.

    It is difficult because this encompasses your entire family. It also directly affects your entire family. But as adults, sometimes we need to filter what children are exposed to. One day when your children are older/grown up, they will be able to participate on the subject if ever asked. Until then, why risk their exposure? Some may disagree, but this only my opinion, you have to decide what is best for you and your family!! )O(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, I really hope you do it! I see your point however, that you want your children not to be scorned. Ultimately you have to decide if it's worth it to you to further acceptance of the Pagan community. It just sucks that Pagans have to live in fear of rejection because they have a different faith...but perhaps this show will change a lot of opinions!
    )O(~ Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds awesome. Even if you did decide to keep the kids out of it, people know you as that child's mom or that man's wife, so they will know and connect them to the kids. It sounds like a great idea, but i would ask to have final editing say; so they can't edit the footage for too much drama or to make you guys look a certain way. Either way good luck and that's so totally awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always had the feeling that Canadians aren't as fundamental when it comes to religion. I think you are at an advantage in that respect. We have always been out about our religion and my witchings, now all grown, have never had any bad experiences. I did make sure I had one on ones with their teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can give you a different view to those posted. lol. Children tend not to be the ones that judge. (Not unless they're older children). It tends to be adults. For example, adults will see me in a wheelchair and get preconceptions that I've got a mental disability too, or try to avoid me.. It tends to be children that come up to me and ask why. Adults are the ones who mould the children. Children are 'a blank canvas', innocent. How did the others react when your your little one said 'moms a witch'? You could, if you wanted to, also ask your children what they think, feel, or for an opinion/choice before you make your final one, kids are more observant/aware etc then people give them credit. And you know, don't be ashamed of what you believe/your lifestyle, you've as much right to your religion as they have of theirs. Huggles, Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though in my previous post I didn't think how adults might react to the little ones, there's the option of asking if their faces can be pixelated too if it's something they want to do... it's totally down to you and your hubby, your family, your heart, and you will know what's best in the long run. IMO, even so, I don't think you should ever be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Part of the reason I have a witch-y pseudonym is my young daughter. I live in the Mid-Atlantic of the US and even here me being a very public witch could potentially damage her relationships with teachers and especially her peers at school. I think it's a wonderful opportunity with many potential side effects. Because of where I live and my daughter's age I would say no and I believe that you are the type of person who will take into account multiple factors before you and your family make a final decision. Best of luck and keep us in the loop if you decide yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your insights!
    I will keep you in the loop :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. To quote Jarrid here... Paganism/Wicca are often left out of the educational process as it is deemed evil and anti-Christian.

    You know, when I think of this, (And perhaps I do think to much). I cant help but feel that after everything people have done in the name of Christianity, the Romans, to the Indians, to Jewish, the Pagans.. This is just to name a few, but without going into detail, what they did was evil in it's purist forms. If people are prepared to move on from what the Christians of old did, they should also be prepared to give others at least a fair chance. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was also approached to do the show but I turned them down. I feel like myself, my blog and my family would not be safe from those wackos who would try to harm us. So its just not for me. But good luck and keep us updated if you decide to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that this becomes a good thing for Pagans... It sounds like a great idea, just so long as they mean well! Here's a cool video I linked to my blog:

    http://rosysbroom.blogspot.com/2012/03/wicca-what.html

    It's a five minute documentary that someone made. You and those who commented may find it interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Rosa!! I will check it out :)

    ReplyDelete