Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What's the difference?

I'm sure I am not alone in wondering...
What is the difference between FAIRY and FAERY?
Why do some people spell it one way, and others spell it another??

Here is what I have discovered - and this is how I explain it to my children.


A FAIRY is often a cute fantastical winged creature - think Disney Fairy here.  I associate this type of fairy with my kids mostly.  They are happy-go-lucky, helpful beings.  At times mischevious - but nothing to be frightened of.  I remeber reading somewhere that a fairy is the Victorian era's attemp tp "prettify" the more wicked faery.

image from: LINK
A FAERY is more of an "adult" creature.  These beings may not be all sweet, playful and helpful.  At times they may even be considered dangerous as they are unpredictable and sometimes cruel.  They are the legendary Fae with origins in ancient times. 

Regardless of which fae you associate with, treat them with kindness - leave treats (seeds, berries, sugar, corn meal) in the garden - worst-case senario (if you don't believe in the fae), you've left a yummy treat for the birds :)

¤´¨) ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨) (¸.•´ (¸.•`¤~♥ Blessings ♥¤´¨)¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨) *•-:¦:-•:*''*:•-:¦:-*
Reactions:

6 Thoughts:

  1. nice explanation especially for explaining it to kids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered about that too! Glad to see some info on that. You're the best!
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!
    Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I* always wondered!
    Excellent post!
    Blessings**

    ReplyDelete