|image from Blisstree|
Here we come a-wassailingFor the first time, we made Wassail to enjoy during our Yule festivities. There are several Wassail recipe online, but we opted for a simple version and were pleasantly surprized with the delightful taste. As the witchlets were enjoying the Wassail as well, we did not add brandy to our recipe.
Among the leaves so green,
Here we come a-wand'ring
So fair to be seen.
Love and joy come to you,
And to you your wassail, too,
Goddess bless you, and send you
A Happy New Year,
Goddess send you a Happy New Year.
- 1 Gallon apple cider
- 2 C. cranberry juice (I used white cranberry juice)
- 1/2 C honey
- 2 oranges
- Whole cloves (I will use less cloves next time, as they were overpowering)
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 3 cinnamon sticks (or 3 Tbs. ground cinnamon)
- Spices (ginger, allspice, nutmeg) (optional)
- 1/2 C - 1 C brandy (optional)
Cover your pot and allow to simmer 2 - 4 hours on low heat. About half an hour prior to serving, add the brandy if you choose to use it.