Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Mom's a Witch!

"Yea? Well, my Mom's a Witch!"

I often wonder what the teacher of my [then] six year old daughter thought when she blurted that out in class. To this day, I still do not know what made her bring it up, but in a way I am glad she did. I had taught my children that, although I am proud of who and what I am, some people do not accept Wicca so it's not something we generally talk about unless asked.

To my knowledge, there hasn't really been any negative backlash towards myself, family, or daughter. Although there will always be those disproving glances from the occassional neighbour.

I tried to keep my Wiccan path from a few VERY christian friends, which backfired when their daughter went home and told her parents what my daughter had said. Of course, at first there was the typical gasping and disbeilf ("Not my friend! She can't be Wiccan!"). But I am proud of my friend because he was mature enough to stop and think about the negativity he was portraying and do some research into Wicca. His comment to his wife always brings a smile to my face though, "Well, I guess Wicca is okay. She's not sacrificing goats in the backyard like I thought!".

Goats?!?! Oh my...

Reactions:

2 Thoughts:

  1. I stumbled across your site and I am glad I did! I can totally identify with this post. I had to explain myself to one of my kid's teachers and it was NOT fun. I also got outed while I was still a soldier, stationed in the Bible Belt. It was a nightmare experience for me and mine at the time.

    I grabbed your linkie for my witchy blog, http://witchywisdom.multifacetedmama.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you for stopping by, I willpop over & grab your linkie as well :)
    I think there may be many kindred witches who have had the dreaded chat with the teacher lol
    I can only imagine what it must;ve been like for you int he Bible Belt!!

    ReplyDelete