Monday, February 1, 2010

Blessed Imbolc Eve!

Blessings readers!! And a blessed Imbolc Eve to you :)
I am quite excited -- tonight is the eve of our first celebrated Imbolc. In Celtic times, days were considered to begin a dusk; so much like New Years, celebrations and festivities began at sunset of the preceeding day.

My sister and I have quite a bit planned for tonight and tomorrow. Tonight we are starting with a large dinner -- which I should start cooking shortly. We have some crafts planned for the children as well. We have written our own blessing and ritual for later tonight. We have a simplified one for the children to participate in also. We have a few friends joining us tonight. They are not of Wiccan faith, but are interested in learning so I am hoping it will be a good experience for us all. Following are a few recipes will be be doing tonight.


Potato Soup

I never measure anything exactly for this recipe -- I just put everything in the pot *lol*
  • Potatoes - peeled, washed, cubed
  • Carrots - sliced
  • Celery - sliced
  • Onion - diced
  • Chicken broth
  • water
Put all ingredients into pot & bring to boil; cook until potatoes are tender.
  • Bacon - cooked, chopped
Add Bacon to pot. Add some of potato mixture into blender with a can of evaporated milk. Blend & return to pot. Repeat if necessary. You may also need to add more milk if you want your soup creamier.

Blessed Bride's Cake

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup walnut meats, chopped (NOTE: my children and I are allergic to nuts, so I will not be using walnuts. After an extensive internet search I was instructed to use Grape Nuts cereal - which apparently contains neither nuts or grapes!!)
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1 cup flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
Mix all the ingredients together until they are wet. Do not over mix. Pour into a greased and floured 9"x9"x2" square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until knife inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving.


Also, don't forget about my Sweet Dreams Giveaway!!!
Reactions:

2 Thoughts:

  1. Sounds delicious!!
    too bad I don't have raisins... Oh, but I have cranberries, that should do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh cranberries would be lovely too!!
    Blessed Imbolc )O(

    ReplyDelete